Sunday, June 14, 2009

Josh Winkler to Unseat Kilroy in 2010

Kilroy won election in 2008 by beating Republican Steve Stivers by approximately 3,500 votes. Mark Noble, Libertarian candidate for that same seat won 14,500 votes. Now, Josh Winkler is seeking to unseat the very congressional representative that benefited from Libertarian participation in 2008. Perhaps it is best for Josh to explain his campaign:

“I've always loved this country. When I was 8, I would sing My Country Tis Of Thee, The Star Spangled Banner, and others in the shower. I'm feeling more and more disappointed by the system every election. I've always been one to try to act rather than just talk, so I thought running for office was the best way to help put things right in this country.

I'm not a rich man, but I am a hard working man. I do what I can to support my family. I'm not a religious man, but I do believe in the power of religion.What I see wrong with this country was recently typified by my own brother. He works as a youth minister for a Methodist church in Perrysburg (our hometown). He and his wife split the duties, and he also works part time at Fed Ex. They receive Medicaid and food stamps for their son, currently 8 months old. On Easter weekend, one of the members of his church asked the minister who needed a food basket, and he suggested my brother. My brother was too embarrassed to take it. I was astounded. He has no problem taking welfare for his child and wife, who, at Thanksgiving, said she was thankful that she could get assistance so she could stay home, but was too embarrassed to receive charity from the church. It is easier for him, in every regard, to get benefits from tax dollars, than from people who know and love him.

This has to change. I've had hard times, financially. I have two rental properties in foreclosure, because I could not get them rented. I could get them occupied, but not by people willing to actually pay rent. I didn't try to spend more money to get myself out of this mess, I decided to cut back what I could at home, and pay off everything that I could. This is what our government needs to do. I've been so poor, growing up, that we had to walk, not drive, to Big Lots to buy clothes. I've been so well off that my wife and I drive a Benz and a brand new Charger, in a 4 bedroom house with only 1 child. I've seen the whole spectrum.

I am also a realist. I know that this country can't just cut aid programs overnight, nor balance the budget on a whim. However, I strongly believe that every effort must be made to do so, with actual, achievable goals made, and more importantly, met. As a software engineer, I work with people from all walks of life, all beliefs, and all sides of the political spectrum. Even the former member of the Russian Communist Party said he would vote for me, based on integrity alone.I used to identify myself with the Republican party, but I always said that I voted Republican as long as they were conservative. They've clearly thrown that out the window, and the Libertarians are a party I've been looking at for several years.

I have worked on one campaign, for Andy Bowers running for Ohio House in 2004. I saw how hard he worked. I was with him in his hotel quite on election night. I stayed until 2 in the morning, despite having just arrived back from Las Vegas at 2AM on election day. I heard his voice, strained and cracked from last minute door-to-door campaigning. I watched as the number kept pushing him farther and farther behind his opponent. I watched his family try to comfort him. I don't want to put my family thru that.

If I didn't honestly believe (not think, believe) that I could win, and make a difference, I would not be writing to you.For campaigning, I am not afraid of crowds or public speaking. I'm pretty quick on my feet. I have a sense of humor. I have no skeletons in my closet, I've done nothing in my past that I am ashamed to admit. I can, and will, do what it takes to win.”

If those words do not sound like Libertarian leadership for Ohio, I do not know what does. Josh is a patriot and the LPO is ecstatic that he is seeking the party nomination for Ohio’s 15th.

No comments:

Post a Comment